Answered By: Reeti Brar Last Updated: Apr 09, 2020 Views: 339
Guidelines for essay writing style and format are governed by your School, and can usually be found in your course outline. You should check with your lecturer, tutor, or research supervisor for further information or ask at your School.
American Psychological Association (APA) – APA Style Manual 7th edition provides slightly different directions for formatting student papers and professional papers. Major changes in respect to formatting student papers as per the new manual are as follows:
General formatting rules:
- One-inch margins on all four sides
- Double spacing throughout with a couple of exceptions
- Use a font size consistently throughout the paper. Font can be any of the following:
Calibiri 11pt, Arial 11pt, Lucida 10pt, Times New Roman 12pt, Georgia 11pt.
- One space after “full-stop” (.) throughout the paper.
First level: Centred and Boldfaced in Title Case – starts on a new line
Second level: Left justified, Boldfaced in Title Case- starts on a new line
Third level: Left-justified, Bold, Italics, Title Case- starts on a new line
Title page requirements:
- First page of the paper
- Header with page number - starts with 1, upper right corner
- Text consistently centred on the page and Boldfaced in Title Case
- Running head and author note not required.
- Title of the paper- in the upper half of the page (3-4 lines, below the top margin), (e.g., Medical Tourism and Postoperative Infections)
- Name of the student – 2 lines below the title, do not mention title or degree, First name, middle initial(s), last name (e.g., Rose M. Taylor) -starts on a new line
- Departmental and institutional affiliation (e.g. School of Medicine, Notre Dame University) - starts on a new line
- Course number and title (e.g., MED16100: Foundations of a Medical Vocation) - starts on a new line
- Name of professor - use tutor's preferred designation ( Dr. John Smith) - starts on a new line
- Date, assignment due date (e.g., 12 December 2020) - starts on a new line
- Reference List:
Starts on a new page, label the page “References”- centred and boldfaced
All lines after the first line of each entry in your reference list should be indented one-half inch from the left margin (hanging indent).
Digital Object Identifiers (DOI) must include the https://doi.org/ portion and must be hyperlinked.
Anatomy of an APA Style 7th edition student report includes:
- Title Page
- Abstract (optional section for student papers, maximum 250 words)
- Table, figures, appendices, supplemental materials (optional)
Downloadable template available below.
For detailed information and examples refer to the links below: