With Write-N-Cite (or RefWorks Citation Manager - see first link in list below), you can cite references in a document with just a click and watch your paper format instantly including in-text citations, footnotes and your bibliography. The utility installs a RefWorks tab in the MS Word ribbon or you can access it from the References tab in Microsoft Word. Write-N-Cite for Word is available for both Mac and Windows.
Depending on the version of Microsoft Office you are using and your operating system, you may need to use a specific Word Add-in. Information on Add-ins and links to Add-in downloads can be found in the RefWorks under the Tools tab. Please see the links Choosing the Best Add-in for Microsoft Word and Writing Your Paper with the RefWorks for Google Docs Add-on below for additional information.
- Log on to RefWorks
- Click on Tools tab located on the top menu bar. Select the Tools option.
- Click the Download & Install button for the version of Write-N-Cite you wish to install.
- Save the .exe file to your computer.
After downloading the proper file from the download page:
- Make sure that Microsoft Word is not running.
- Confirm that you have all recent Windows and Office updates from Microsoft’s Update tool.
- Run the downloaded exe file. If you are on a multi user system you will need to be an Administrator to install ProQuest for Word.
- Follow the steps of the installer.
- When the installer has completed open Microsoft Word. You will see a new RefWorks tab in your ribbon. Click on the tab.
- Login to your RefWorks library by clicking the log in button on the ribbon.
After installing and logging in, there’s no need to log out when using your personal computer. Your account will stay tied to the computer across sessions until you choose to log out.
Detailed information on downloading and using Write-N-Cite can be found on the Using Write-N-Cite with Microsoft Word Guide.