Some online resources, such as PubMed, do not offer the ability to export search results directly to RefWorks. In such cases, you can often save your search results as a text file which you can then import.
Here is how to import text files from PubMed search results:
- After performing a search in PubMed, check the box next to the results you want to import to RefWorks.
- Click 'Send to' link on the upper-right of the screen
- Under Choose Destination, select 'File'
- Under Format, select 'MEDLINE'
- Click the 'Create File' button
- Save the file somewhere convenient on your computer, such as your desktop.
- RefWorks click on Add + button in the top left-hand corner
- Select "Import references"
- Under Import from a file section, Drag and drop the Pubmed text file (pubmed_result.txt) into RefWorks (into the box below), or use the link to “select a file from your computer” and upload it.
- Click on the "Import" button - the file will be imported as NLM PubMed.
- RefWorks should inform you that your selected references were successfully imported - click OK to move past the message
- Citations will automatically be entered into your Last Imported folder in RefWorks.
See the link below for a video demonstrating how to add references to RefWorks by importing text files.