Answered By: Lucy Kelleher Last Updated: May 17, 2023 Views: 25
The Library does not support linking sources uploaded from platforms such as ResearchGate, Academia.edu, SciHub and other similar sites to course reading lists for the following reasons:
- Should a work shared on a commercial academic networking platform, including your own, happen to infringe copyright, then it may be subject to a take-down demand from a publisher and will become unavailable to view.
- It is always best practice to source reading list material from the University Library eResources, open access databases and repositories, or via our resource sharing service to avoid any potential Copyright infringement
ResearchGate. (2022) Copyright and ResearchGate. https://explore.researchgate.net/display/support/Copyright
What can I do instead?
- Search FiNDit (or use the Library Search function within Leganto) to see if the item is held in the Library's collection
- You can also find resources that the library subscribes to while searching the web, using LibKey Nomad (read more at the link below).
- If the Library does hold the item - add it to your Reading List using instructions in the Leganto support guide for Materials available in the Library collection (linked further below).
- If the Library does not hold the item - try searching for the resource via an open access platform like Unpaywall
- Unpaywall is an open database of free scholarly articles that have been legally uploaded by their authors with permission from the relevant publishers.
- If you locate the resource via open access, add it to your Reading List using instructions in the Leganto support guide for External websites and other materials (linked further below).
- If you are unable to locate the resource on any acceptable sites, follow the instructions in the Leganto support guide for Materials NOT available in the Library collection (linked further below) and the Library will try to source the item for you through our Resource Sharing service.
Please contact the Library at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.