Answered By: Jackie Stevens Last Updated: Jan 22, 2019 Views: 16664
Please see the AskUs FAQ Why is EndNote not appearing in Word? linked below to try a simple solution first for Windows users. If that doesn't solve the issue, follow the instructions below.
If the EndNote tab does not 'stick', it may be due to a registry setting. This registry setting determines how the add-in is loaded in the application. (Note that these are Word settings and help should be sought from Microsoft rather than EndNote).
Under Add-ins in Word (or Excel or Outlook) you will see the current load behaviour of the particular add-in. The load behaviour of the add-in should be set to "Load at Startup".
If the load behaviour is "Unloaded" then follow these steps:
- Open your Registry Editor. To do this, open your Windows Start menu and type "regedit".
- In the Registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Office > Word > Addins >EndNote.WordAddin.Connect. (If this HKEY string is not showing, type HKEY_CURRENT_USER in front of the Computer\ field command at the top of the window and hit Enter on your keyboard)
- Note the number the Load Behaviour is set to. It will be a number like 0 or 1 or 3.
If the Load Behaviour is anything other than "3" then follow these steps:
- Close Word (or Excel or Outlook). Make sure the "winword.exe" process is not running in the Windows Task Manager.
- Open the Registry Editor again. Double-click the registry key (highlighted in the screenshot above) to edit it.
- Change the Load Behaviour to "3." Close the Registry Editor.
- Re-open the Registry Editor to ensure "3" is still there.
- Open Word. The add-in should now load automatically at startup.
If these steps do not fix the Load Behaviour you may have to go a step further and run a repair on the Application Integrations. This can be done through Control Panel / Programs and Features > Change > Repair…
Failing that, you could clear ALL the Word preferences. You should be able to Google the instructions. See Microsoft linked FAQ below for example.