Answered By: Sharon Lamb Last Updated: Mar 26, 2020 Views: 225
EndNote does not currently offer APA 7th as a default output style for formatting your references. It will be made available in due course via a system update, but in the short term you will need to download this style from the EndNote Downloads site.
Follow these instructions:
- Have EndNote X9 open on your PC or laptop.
- Go to https://endnote.com/style_download/apa-7th-american-psychological-association-7th-edition/ to download the style and click on the Download Style button.
- A box will appear at the bottom of your screen called APA 7th. Double click to open. It should open in EndNote.
- In EndNote, go to File and choose Save As. Delete the word copy (or you can save the style with your own choice of name), and click Save.
- Click on File and choose Close Style.
- The APA 7th Output Style will now appear as an option in the Output Styles selection pane.
Known problems with the EndNote APA 7th style (as of March 2020):
- Multiple authors: EndNote cannot currently handle APA 7th's approach to 20+ authors. If you have more than 20 authors, you will need to edit your reference to replace the authors between the 19th and the last author with ellipses (...)
- Journal references - Type of Article: The journal reference format includes the Type of Article field for specific article types such as editorials or reviews or for articles in special issues. However it is recommended that this field should not be used.
After you have finished using EndNote to create your references, we recommend using the library's APA referencing guide, or the APA Publication Manual to correct any mistakes.